22 Jun FIBES, home of the largest International Congresses in Spain
Fibes Conference and Exhibition Centre in Seville hosts some of the largest international congresses in Spain, welcoming every year more and more attendees from around the globe. The fourth largest city in Spain, Seville stands firmly as one of the top destinations for leisure and business tourism in the country.
Spain, a world leading country for Business and Leisure Tourism
Tourism is a major contributor to Spain’s economy, accounting for 11% of the country’s GDP and positioning Spain as one of the top tourist destinations in the world. The influx of foreign tourists has risen for seven consecutive years, reaching a record-high 75.3 million foreign visitors in 2016. In the same year, the region of Andalusia alone welcomed over 10.6 million international tourists, placing Andalusia as the 25th destination for foreign tourist arrivals in the world.
This phenomenal economic drive is also mirrored in the business tourism sector. According to the International Congress and Convention Association’s (ICCA) 2014 Statistics Report, Spain is the second most popular destination for MICE events in the world, above Germany and France and second only to the United States. In fact, Barcelona and Madrid count as two of the top three cities in the world that received the most delegates in 2014.
International Congresses and Events in Seville: a city on the rise
Seville may be the fourth largest city in Spain, but the state-of-the-art infrastructure of its Conference and Exhibition Centre Fibes rivals those located in Spain’s top MICE destinations Madrid and Barcelona. The inauguration of the new congress and exhibition centre Fibes II in 2012 has directly helped propel Seville amongst the top destinations for business tourism, as is evident from the increase in the number of international congresses and conferences held in the city. Seville has gradually been converted into a thriving hub for business tourism, counting over one hundred congresses, exhibitions, and other events every year. Its prime conference location Fibes has hosted international congresses and events such as:
- EAIE 2017: the 29th edition of the annual international conference on higher education, gathering around 5,000 delegates (coming in September 2017)
- ECFS 2017: the 40th edition of the European Cystic Fibrosis Conference, with over 2,300 attendees
- EuCheMS 2016: the 6th European Chemistry Congress, a meeting point for 2,500 specialists and several Nobel Prize winners
- EUROTOX 2016: the 52nd Congress of the European Society of Toxicology, counting more than 1,200 European specialists
- ASTA Destination Expo 2016: international convention held by the largest travel agents’ associaton in the world
- Heart Failure 2015: the 2nd World Congress on Acute Heart Failure, with over 4,800 attendees
- EuroEcho-Imaging 2015: international congress for Cardiovascular Imaging held by the European Society of Cardiology, with 3,500 specialists in attendance
Edit: since first publishing this article, Fibes has also hosted M&I Forums’ very solicited Europe Summer 2017 event dedicated to international congress tourism.
More International Events held at Fibes
The list of events goes on, with more international events to come in 2017 such as the much anticipated EAIE 2017 congress in September or the Cosmetics International Business Forum in October. Visit our conferences page to view a list of all upcoming and past events at Fibes. For more information regarding the infrastructure of the Conference and Exhibition Centre, visit our full descriptive page on the centre’s premises.